Important notice to all Employees, Visitors, and Supervisors regarding COVID-19 Pandemic
As of today, June 14, 2021 there have been NO new cases of COVID-19 following the outbreak that ended Mar 4/21 at Wequedong Lodge.
Notice to all employees, visitors, and supervisors
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Wequedong Lodge has decided to put some protective measures in place to mitigate the risk to our clients. We have done the following:
- Effective Saturday, March 14, 2020, Wequedong Lodge will not be permitting any visitors into the premises.
- Everyone who enters the building will be asked if they have been in contact with anyone who has been ill, or they are exhibiting serious symptoms such as coughing and a high fever, and if they have, they will be asked to contact the Thunder Bay Public Health Unit for direction prior to being admitted into the Lodge.
- Anyone with milder symptoms will be accommodated elsewhere and asked to self monitor and call the Public Health Unit at (807) 625-8318 for further instruction.
- A vinyl barrier has been erected to protect reception and intake workers.
- A worker will be placed at the front entrance with a mask and gloves to monitor everyone entering the building.
- Hand sanitizer will be administered to each person who enters.
- A laser thermometer will be available to take people’s temperatures as some people may not aware that they are running a fever.
- Information from The Assembly of First Nations entitled "Coronavirus Fact Sheet" and a "Prevent the Spread" sheet, and a flyer on "How to Self Monitor" will be available for anyone who wishes to take one.
- All group activities that had been occurring were stopped.
- Effective Monday, March 16, 2020 drivers were advised not to provide rides to any more than one family at a time.
- Effective Tuesday, March 17, the Dining Room was closed. Meals are brought to client's rooms and delivered to anyone staying at Hotels.
- All outside personnel, including contractors, deliveries, etc., have been stopped other than essentials such as groceries.
- Additional disinfecting has been occurring, with one worker completely dedicated to this task.
- Alternatives to the latex gloves are being provided due to some workers being intolerant to the latex.
- Scrubs will be purchased for all staff since they are easier to wash. Staff will be advised to remove their clothing immediately upon getting home and washing these uniforms every day.
- All training has been cancelled.
- All travel for staff has been cancelled.
- Staff who travelled outside the country will not be permitted to return to work until after fourteen (14) days of self isolation or quarantine.
- Any client who leaves the Lodge, regardless of the reason, will be subjected to the screening process upon returning (sanitizing of hands, temperature reading, etc.)
- N-95 masks have been ordered and are being provided to any client who exhibits symptoms. (It is more effective to place a mask on a sick individual than it is as a protective device.) We are continually looking for additional supplies of masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and Lysol wipes.
- Disposable gowns will be available to staff; however, it is our belief that the scrubs in place of the uniforms will be more efficient than a disposable gown.
- Communication is ongoing between management, Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) and the Thunder Bay Public Health Unit regarding updates.
- Other workplace protocols for pandemic preparedness have been researched, and best practices identified have been implemented.
- Staff are encouraged to contact their Supervisors if they have any other suggestions on how we might do more to protect our clients and workers.
- The entire Management team is meeting regularly to review the situation and decide what further action needs to be taken. This protocol will remain in effect until such time as the public health authorities declare that COVID-19 no longer poses a significant risk to our clients.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
To report a suspected case of COVID-19, call 1-888-294-6630 ext. 8318 Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
After hours and on weekends or holidays, call (807) 624-1280.